“Electrical Skin” is a robotically 3D printed free-form façade-panel with integrated lighting. For the first time in architecture, not only the complex form, but also the electric infrastructure are fabricated in a single process. This project showcases how leaps in computation and digital fabrication can revolutionize architectural components.
Thodoris Kyttas (MAS student in Architecture and Digital Fabrication, ETH Zurich)
Xijie Ma, Michael Thoma and Matthias Leschok (student assistants, ETH Zurich)
David Jenny (Gramazio Kohler Research, ETH Zurich)
Andrei Jipa and Pietro Odaglia (DBT, ETH Zurich)
Green Kim (Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism Division)
DongHan Shin and Minjae Ko (B.A.T)
Minsoo Jun, Sungkwang Choi and Inho Kim (assistants of Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism 2017)
Donghyun Kim (Fab Lab Seoul)
Research for the project is carried out at the Chair for DBT, ETH Zurich, and supported by National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCR) Digital Fabrication.
- Kwon, Hyunchul, Thodoris Kyttas, and Benjamin Dillenburger. 2019. “Electrical skin: 3D-printed façade panel with integrated electric infrastructure.” In Proceedings of the 14th Conference on Advanced Building Skins, pp. 794-804. Bern: Advanced Building Skins GmbH. October 28-29. Read the full paper here.
- Money Today Network, Economy Magazine, People M, 15 September 2017 – “Electrical Skin at 2017 Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism”, produced by Seong-Un Kim
- etoday, 13 September 2017 – “Architect Hyunchul Kwon participated in Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism… “There will be an era of fabricating buildings with 3D printers.””, article by Jung Woong Kim
- edaily, 11 September 2017 – “‘Combine 3D printing and Art’ .. ‘New Architectural Paradigm’ Architect Hyunchul Kwon”, article by Jun-ki Lee
- The Asia Economy Daily, 6 September 2017 – “Seoul Biennale, architect Hyunchul Kwon, “New Construction History””, article by Kyung-hwan Bae
- Moneytoday, 4 September 2017 – “Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism 2017 opens until 5th Nov., exhibiting ‘Electrical Skin’ by Architect Hyunchul Kwon”, article by Sungmin Bae
- Money Today Network, 31 August 2017 – “”Check a 3D-printed Architecture”… ‘2017 Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism'”, article by Minhye Kang
- Dailian, 31 August 2017 – “Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism opens on 2nd… Hyunchul Kwon’s ‘Electric Skin'”, article by Myungsin Kim
- The JoongAng Ilbo, 31 August 2017 – “‘2017 Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism’ opens next month… Notable exhibits?”, article by Hyesun Chae